Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Only One Week Left until I start My Journey Down the Parkway




Where I will begin my Journey on August 28th, 2008


It is early Wednesday morning and I still have a list of about 100 things to do before I can head for Jarman Gap in Shenandoah National Park to begin the "Journey That Will Be The Destination".

My teacher colleagues are already attending school - these are the Teacher Workdays that allow the Teachers to Gear Up for the start of a New Year. The excited faces will all be in their seats on Monday the 25th of August and I will not be their Teacher this year.

Instead I will be making my final preparations for my approximately 500 mile Backpacking Trip that will cover the Entire length of the Original Blue Ridge Parkway from Jarman Gap (Map) in Shenandoah National Park all the way down the Blue Ridge Parkway (Map) to Cherokee, NC. The actual road distance of this journey is listed at 478 miles and is ~8.5 miles longer than the Blue Ridge Parkway due to my inclusion of Section 1A that was deeded over to Shenandoah NP in 1961. Just think - No Stop Signs for almost 500 miles.

On August 12th while returning from a visit with my parents in Rhode Island, I stopped by the Otter Creek Restaurant on the Parkway. I left a parcel of food with the Manager - Mr. Calvin Rice. He has been the Manager of the Otter Creek Restaurant for almost 50 years. This supply of food will last me a week so I will not need to carry as much when I start out.

I guess I'd better wrap it up for now, it is late and I have a lot of preparation still and items that have to be done in advance for me to be able to be gone for nearly 6 weeks.

No comments: